Buyers’ big plans for notorious drive-by house in Sydney
Less than 12 months since it was involved in a late night drive-by shooting, a home in Sydney’s south west has been given a second chance.
The vacant property at 32 Rawson Rd, Fairfield West, which has also been damaged by fire, sold quickly when it to auction on Saturday.
MORE: ACCESSIBLE APARTMENTS UP FOR RENT
FUNCTION CENTRE SALE TOPPLES PRICE RECORDS
The highly anticipated bank sale saw nine of 16 registered bidders get involved in the action before the hammer fell at $750,000 — a figure which left agent David Perco shocked.
“All of the feedback during the campaign was really low; I was expecting $600,000 to $650,000,” Mr Perco, of Ray White Wetherill Park and Cecil Hills, told the Fairfield Advance.
“But there was plenty of buyer competition and it was fast — it was all over in five minutes,” he said.
A $550,000 opening bid from the eventual buyers rose to $710,000, when two parties then battled it out.
While it soared above expectations, the property went for slightly more than the suburb’s median house price of $712,500 and well below the Sydney median of $945,000.
As local residents knew of the home’s dark past, the weekend event drew a crowd of about 60 people.
CoreLogic records reveal the house was built in 2009. On a 588 sqm block of land, it features five bedrooms, four bathrooms, a marble staircase and a number of balconies.
In a row of modest single-storey homes, the modern mansion made headlines when shots were fired at the facade about 11.25pm on Thursday, June 14.
Behind the boarded up front door are blackened interiors and exposed wires. Despite this, buyers were unfazed.
Only a few of the 50-odd groups who inspected it questioned its history, according to the agent.
“It was a larger home in an area where the majority are three-bedroom fibro or brick homes, so it piqued the interest of those who were looking for something different from the norm.
“A lot of people came back with contractors looking at what they could do to it … the foundations were all there.”
Mr Perco said neighbours were relieved the property was snapped up by young owner occupiers.
Renters Hoang Doan and Hong Le from Cabramatta had been house hunting for three months when the property came up for sale.
They inspected it in the first two weeks of marketing and saw it as “a big challenge” due to its potential.
SIGN UP FOR THE NSW REAL ESTATE NEWSLETTER
“At the beginning I wasn’t really interested but when we came inside it had a really modern look,” Mr Doan, a 30-year-old plumber, said.
The pair missed out on another property in the area a week prior and turned up to the Fairfield West auction with every intention of becoming the home’s new owners.
“I will put a lot of effort into it and the house will look very different when we bring it back to life,” he said.