Dulux partners with interior stylist Julia Green for stylish makeovers
Does your bedroom need a makeover?
Dulux has partnered with interior stylist Julia Green to guide you step-by-step to give your rooms an on-trend makeover.
If you’re looking to liven a room, are short of time and don’t want to spend a fortune, paint can be your best friend, allowing you to breathe new life into tired spaces with minimal cost and effort, according to Ms Green.
“Add in the right soft furnishings or paint your existing accessories and you’ve got an up-to-date look in no time,” she said.
Faced with a bland, white bedroom, she took inspiration from Dulux’s stunning Repair palette (one of four palettes in the 2019 Colour Forecast) to give it some personality and interest.
“The room was a blank canvas,” Ms Green said. “While it had lovely features such as wooden floorboards, white walls and shutters, it was crying out for some character.
“The colours in the Repair palette felt calm yet invigorating – for me, it was love at first sight.
“When it comes to choosing colour, I believe it’s the emotional connection we make that is the most important thing – perhaps even more important than how we dress a space. I knew the deep greenish blues and hints of cinnamon from this palette would be perfect for creating a warm, welcoming feel in this bedroom.”
Ms Green looked for easy ways to incorporate the ideas into a tired bedroom with doses of colour in paint, accessories and soft furnishings.
“I chose an artwork for the back wall that was filled with beautiful, earthy tones, all present in the Dulux Repair palette, and used this to inform the rest of my colour choices,” she said.
“I selected a bold hue for the back wall to give the room depth – Dulux Wash & Wear in Sea Creature, which is a luscious, green-blue. I layered this up with touches of rich green by painting the existing bedside-table drawer with Dulux Aquanamel in Plasticine and adding lush velvet soft furnishings and tall potted plants.
“You don’t have to be an expert to achieve great results with colour – it’s such fun to experiment, and you’ll be amazed at how quickly it can transform a space. Safe is boring; my advice is to step outside your comfort zone.”
JULIA’S STYLING TIPS
1. When choosing colours, think about the mood you want to create. I chose greeny-blues and accents of cinnamon and terracotta (above) because I wanted to create a cosy, refreshing vibe.
2. Start with an artwork: Take your colour cues from a key painting or print to give your room scheme an intentional feel.
3. Add energy to the space with one or two jolts of an unexpected colour. And remember; contrast is key.
4. If you’re adding white to the mix, choose one with similar undertones as your brights.
5. Think beyond walls – use paint to revamp old furniture and accessories too. You may just find yourself falling right back in love with them!
6. Have fun and experiment – remember, if you change your mind about a colour, you can always paint over it. To feel confident with your choice, always start with a sample pot or A4-size swatch so you can live with the colour for a few days without fully committing.